Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving Day is one of my favorite holidays. It is one of the few events binding us as a nation (cursed be the free marketeers who open their sales' temples before dawn on Friday. And while I am at it, be warned their curse will roll down on you.) Mostly, as a country we pretty much grind to a halt in running here, there and everywhere. I know lots of folk - self included - will be shuffling off to visit family and kitchens get busy early and all. But seriously, when you get up tomorrow morning - first go to the road facing window - watch and listen for a few minutes. It's quiet. Tomorrow morning will be as close as we come to a nation day of Sabbath as we will ever come.

Sabbath is about resting in the knowledge that Our Father in Heaven is actually the One in charge. Creation does not actually depend upon us to keep it running. Rest is a gift given to us.
When you give thanks tomorrow, remember that "thanks" is a noun and when you "give it" you give it to someone. Give a thought to who you are giving thanks to. I give thanks to the Long Suffering Mrs. Sutcliffe for being the best wife ever. And to Our Father in Heaven for the gift of tLSMS and everything else - but especially for His gracious gift of opening the gates of His Kingdom and welcoming us in through the work of His Son.

May joy overflow your day. Enjoy cooking - or even being cast from kitchen as an impediment - and enjoy overeating. Have a second piece of pie.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. I have stuffed my mother-in-law full of weird lemon chicken soup (not sure I'll try making that again) and have pumpkin pies in the oven at my mom's house now. Looking forward to any quiet tomorrow may involve; but in a world where not everybody gets dinner every day I guess I can't complain about obligations to eat both at my mom's house and my husband's aunt's home.

    ReplyDelete